mandag 12. desember 2011

The Young Victoria

Princess Victoria: Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will.
Prince Albert: Do you?
Princess Victoria: Constantly. I see them leaning in and moving me around the board.
Prince Albert: The Duchess and Sir John?
Princess Victoria: Not just them. Uncle Leopold. The king. I'm sure half the politicians are ready to seize hold of my skirts and drag me from square to square.
Prince Albert: Then you had better master the rules of the game until you play it better than they can.
Princess Victoria: You don't recommend I find a husband to play it for me?

Prince Albert: I should find one to play it with you, not for you.


This quote is from the film "The Young Victoria", which is a film based on a true story on the early life and reign of Queen Victoria and her marriage with Prince Albert. The film was directed by Jean-Marc Vallee and was published in 2009. The main character, Victoria is played by

Victoria is only 18 when she becomes the Queen of Britain. But Victoria feels controlled by everyone around here, especially by her mother and Sir John Conroy (comptroller of the Duchess’s household) who controls her every move. The reason they control here this way is because they want to get Victoria to signing her power over to her mother (something they do not manage). But after she becomes the Queen she manages to get more independent and free. I think the quote here, represents that. When she is playing chess with Prince Albert she is asking him if he also feel controlled and forced by people around him. But he is than answering that she have to play the game better than they do.


I think this movie was really good and interesting and I really liked it. The story is really a love story, focusing mostly on the love between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The love she felt for Albert were actually so strong that she wore black for the 40 years she was widow.



Sources:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1948663,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Victoria

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0962736/

1 kommentar:

  1. Good, Silje! I think it sounds as if you like the film. I also think that one of your sentences are missing a bit of information?

    SvarSlett